Friday, February 19, 2016

February to date projects






I've been pretty productive so far this month.  I started with a couple of pot holders for my grand niece.  In January I received a tin of my most favorite cookies from NJ.  She is 11 and has started to bake and these were her first attempt.  They were wonderful, I'm so glad that she remembered me.  


In return I made the new baker a set of potholders of her very own.


I have finished the February block from Cindy at
I love the trees but I will admit that they were not my favorite type of block to make. The finished block is 8 1/2 inches. Way to many tiny squares for my general quilt making skills.  
This is part 1 of #4 of my Q1 FAL


My latest yarn related project is for a fund raiser for Angel Snugs.


This is my first attempt. It is new born size. It is supposed to have 2 big white buttons on the red portion.  My job is to crochet.  someone else will assemble.


This past weekend I took a workshop  with Lee Heinrich's (FreshlyPieced for Advanced Piecing.  The blocks we made were paper pieced and are from her book  Vintage Quilt Revival .


I am not generally a paper piecer. I was therefore rather impressed with the outcome of my blocks from her class.  If you have the chance I would highly recommend a class with her.


The chapters of the Quilt Guild of the Villages are committed to making 135 quilts for Honor Flights this year.
My chapter spent this weeks meeting working as a group to get a few started. Members donated patriotic fabrics. Several members cut the fabric into the building blocks while others pieced and others pressed. There are also members who will assemble and others will quilt. Great team project.


I managed to sew 20 blocks, the number needed to make a top.  I took them home and got a top pieced. I'm hoping to get it quilted by the next meeting.


Last but not least are some more placemats.  MJ has decided that he is tired of me making placemats so he can watch them walk out the door ( including holiday gifts, we are talking 20 +).  He requested that I make a set for us to keep and use.  This is really not a great picture of them.  The various browns actually match a lot better than this picture lets on.  No matter, he's happy.

I am still enjoying doing the Quilty 365 project, and am right on target. I might actually be a block or 2 ahead.  No picture at the moment because I needed the design wall for the Honor Flight quilt. 50  6 inch blocks take up a considerable amount of space. 

6 comments:

  1. You have been busy! I love the idea of the potholders for the new baker - very special gift. And yes, you deserve your own placemats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the variety of your projects. Your new little baker is going to be so chuffed by your thoughtfulness! Man that's a LOT of little squares in those trees...I would have been lucky to finish one before giving up that ghost. LoL. Great projects going on at your place. I love that rulers fabric in your great placemats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've really been busy with so many different and amazing projects. I love those Micky Mouse ears!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG Am I really 49 blocks behind on Quilty 365? Selina you are my inspiration! Now,I want to move to the Villages just to keep up with you and to give you more fabric! And while you're busy with charitable endeavors,how many quilts do the girls have to call their own? I'm really enjoying your productivity!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry but blocks don't count in this link up so your lovely trees need to wait to be a quilt! But thanks for showing them - they look so complicated - the finished quilt is going to be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.