Sunday, October 14, 2012

Beautiful Weekend

It was a great weekend here in NJ. In spite of having a head cold I got out and about.
 
I am participating in The Wicked Blog Hop next week and I needed to get some outdoor pictures of my blocks.  My blocks, camera and I went for a lovely drive through the local neighbor hoods in search of an appropriate location.
 
 
 
These are a couple of pictures of what had appeared to be an abandoned cemetery about 2 miles from home.  About 6 months ago construction started on a small group of houses on the adjoining site and the cemetery was put to rights.  While I thought it would make a good backdrop for my blocks I actually felt like that would be rude once I got there.
 

 
They had already been mistreated.   These 2 pictures are pretty much all the stones that are left.  They date to the early to mid 1800's.  A plaque outside the gate indicates this was the site of a Presbyterian church that was built in the 1700's that had been burnt out once in the 1800's and again in 1935.
Really great local history.
 
Did get some great pictures of my blocks with a wonderful display of mums.  Came home and made the blocks into a quilt top.  You'll have to come back for the Hop to see them.
 
 
So that covered the up side of the weekend.  Then there was today.  I don't usually catch colds or the like.  When I do I go into denial and blame alergies which I did for 3 days.  The cold won and  I actually took some Sudafed this morning.  I felt better and decided to work on the back for the quilt.
 
So when I measured the quilt it was small enough for a WOF back.  No muss no fuss.  HA HA
Apparently my fuzzy brain forgot to take into account the sashing so my WOF was not wide enough by a  few inches.  Not bad I improvised and used a couple of chunks of fabric I had left over from the front and made a panel, I even liked it.


Well the fuzzy brain also didn't take into account that each time you sub cut and resew you chew up length of fabric so my panel ened up  a few inches short.  Well I needed to add the inches so I cut the back in half and inserted the black strip.  Managed to sew it together in opposite directions, which I really like after the fact.

Sorry about the pictures being so dark.  I did manage to pin baste the thing but decided that the way my sewing was going today that I would be much better off leaving the quilting for another day.

Well I'm thinking of heading to bed with a book.  Should keep me out of trouble for the rest of the evening.   Have a great week.

1 comment:

  1. I love the look of the backing Selina, and I hope you are feeling better soon.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.